Friday, August 1, 2008

Teaching myself to sew


LMQPG Tote
Originally uploaded by Grey Cottage Studio
I've decided to go to sewing school. Meet the faculty: Joelle Hoverson, Amy Butler, Amy Karol, Lotta Jansdotter, Indygo Junction ladies... I'm going to sew as many different bag patterns as I can so I can learn the ins and outs of sewing bags. I plan to document what I learn from each one. For the final exam, I think I'll design the perfect bag for me.

A successful bag must meet three criteria: constructable (doesn't have to be super simple, but certainly not over complicated), cute (not cutesy. Can you tell it's handmade or does it look homemade?) and functional (can I find my keys? do the handles stay on my shoulder? does everything fall out in the car?)

Here's my tote from Last Minute Patchwork Gifts. I now realize that you really don't need a pattern for this bag, but as someone new to this, it helped. I made several of these bags, this one being my favorite. I made another one with the same fabrics and took it with me to lunch with a friend for its maiden voyage. She complimented me, and in the rush of my enthusiasm for my new hobby, I gave her the bag on the spot. (Well, after lunch, I had to put the contents in the car). I hope she liked it as much as I did.

This pattern has you cut three pieces and teaches you how to do a lining. Also teaches you how to use a bias tape maker to make the handles. Now I know that I really didn't have to buy that to make this bag, but good to know how to use it.

Overall, I'd say this bag is easy to make, cute and functional. Lotta jansdotter simplifies the construction, but I don't think her proportions are as attractive. Skip buying a bias tape maker for the handles. Just fold,press and seam.

No comments: