Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad


Today would have been my dad's 70th birthday. He passed away suddenly almost seven years ago and I still miss him every single day. There was nothing unsaid, no emotion not expressed. I don't have regrets. It's just that I miss shooting the breeze with him, because he was sure good at that. He was the kind of guy who claimed he didn't like parties, or meeting new people for that matter, and yet, as he walked through town, driver after driver honked and waved hello. The dry cleaner, the mailman, the plumber, the chief of police, the woman who owned the bakery, they all knew his name and he theirs.

You don't have to call your dad and say, "I love you," because just calling your dad to talk to him, and to listen to him, says I love you.

I wish I could call my dad right now and just shoot the breeze.

1 comment:

Ticking stripes said...

I'm very moved by your post. Its 15 years for me but I can still feel my Dad with me every day. I too wish I could call mine...