Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jam Fancy





I finished another painting in my beloved acrylics class. My very talented friend, Marlieke, is a Dutch acrylics artist who finds herself in our little town because her husband's job has brought them to NY. There's a surprisingly large community of Dutch ex-pats here, and they are quite connected to one another. Marlieke started teaching acrylics classes in her home several years ago and nearly every Wednesday, I find myself in her studio, warmed by her amazing coffee and painting alongside four other Dutch women. Often the conversation is in Dutch which allows me a little alone-time in the crowd, but they swing back to English for me so easily, as bi-lingual people can do. I'm always so amazed at people who are adept at languages as I am so not. Another painting finished is bittersweet, because it signals the end of our "semester." Well, here it is. Grandmother's jam.

4 comments:

molly said...

LOVE it! your weekly class sounds like a little slice of heaven, and what is that wonderful circles piece on the wall in the background of photo 1?

Jill said...

I love my class. Marlieke may be moving back to Amsterdam in the fall, which saddens me on so many levels.

Thanks for the kind words about my jam jar. I think I need to do an ode to bread to pair with it. The circles print is actually from a Swedish artist, procured from a very exclusive gallery called IKEA.

Kim Bates said...

LOVE your painting! I wish I could paint...

Wendy P P Shaw said...

This painting is fantastic - I love it! I also love our blog and the simpicity of your posts - Less is more sometimes! Your posts say an awful lot without being over the top!