Saturday, October 22, 2011

The more I photograph, the less I photograph.

If that makes any sense.

Last weekend I completed my second Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, schlepping 39 miles around Manhattan over two days in very good company.  Almost every walker has a camera, and there were a few DSLRs slung around necks for the duration.  Not me.  I just can't.

I decided from the start to pack only my iphone, pick some fun hipstamatic settings (all of the post is set before you take the shot) and just get what I got.  People who borrowed my camera to take our picture wondered what the heck I was up to. You can't really see the whole frame through the shutter and it takes almost a minute (gasp!) for the image to pop up.  In the end, I had a great two days, my back was healthy (though my feet are a mess) and I got some pictures I liked and frankly, some that were crap.

On Monday, I was back at it, scrambling to do my assignment for my flash class.  Manual settings, flash settings, bouncing, diffusing, posing, shooting.  More on that later.

Do you take your big guns everywhere?  If not, what's plan B?
















No comments: