Thursday, October 9, 2008

The most wonderful time of the year...







I'm still here. My husband spilled tea on my computer and it is currently in computer hospital. Send it your good vibes for a full recovery.

It's apple picking time here in NY. Every year we go to the same orchard and pick as many apples as we can. This year, we got a bushel of macintoshes and cortlands. I have apple muffins in the oven now, and have made four batches of our favorite microwave applesauce. The recipe is from The New Basics Cookbook, and you can have warm applesauce in about 25 minutes (very hard not to let it cool longer). Very simple and delicious.

In a microwaveable bowl or casserole dish mix:
Six apples (three macs and three granny smiths or something tart) roughly chopped
1 cup water
juice from 1/2 lemon

In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 t. cinnamon (I add a t. of ginger). Add to big bowl.

Stir.

Microwave on high for five minutes. Stir and try to mush a bit.

Microwave on high five more minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Let cool. And dish into bowls. So good.

One bowl works for 3-4 people. Just a warning, don't eat too much applesauce. It can have unintended consequences.

2 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Happy fall!

sorry about the computer. loss of technology is the worst - yesterday marty kindly handed me my camera. "here mom woo left dis in my woom." since then it says 'lens error, restart camera'. period. you can imagine my dissapointment.

great apple pics and recipe. gotta love the new basics, mine is tattered and in pieces, but still a fave.

Have a good weekend, Jill.